Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday Food Frenzy 14

Happy Friday Food Frenzy!! A few new items I wanted to share with you this week.

Wegman's Gluten Free Homestyle (frozen) Waffles. I wanted to try some gluten free items (despite my gratefulness of my celiac disease blood work coming back negative). I figured if I try to phase out some of the wheat products, it will be helpful to know what I like (even though I don't think that eating products that the wheat has been removed from is really the best was to go gluten free). In my opinion, these gluten free waffles actually were a lot fluffier than Eggo's waffles. The taste at first didn't really grab my attention with syrup, but when I sprinkled some cinnamon on top, they were actually quite yummy --- even better than Eggo! They're not quite fresh waffles but they taste pretty close considering they're frozen.
Photo Source
If you've been following me for awhile, you might remember that I received BelVita Breakfast Biscuits in my very first Influenster VoxBox. I have actually purchased them several times since then as they're a perfect early morning "breakfast" for me before my workout. The apple cinnamon are my favorite so far. I noticed when I was in the grocery store restocking my cabinets, I noticed they now have a soft baked line of products too called "BelVita Soft Baked". The oats & chocolate variety sounded yummy to me, and all the BelVita was 2/$5 so I picked up my regular apple cinnamon along with a soft baked box of oats and chocolate. These 200 calorie breakfast biscuits are almost like a cookie. They taste a slight bit like maple syrup to me but I absolutely love them --- it will be nice to have variety for my pre-workout breakfast. I would definitely recommend trying any of the BelVita Breakfast Biscuits if you're looking for a quick breakfast option.
Campbell's has a new line of slow cooker sauces where you just add the meat and let it cook all day. I love having stuff like this as backup at home as an easy "go-to". All I needed to do was pick up the meat. I looked at the variety the store had and picked up the Korean BBQ as it seemed to be the "healthiest" option overall when I was comparing the nutritional information. The flavoring of the sauce was delicious (it was kind of like a sesame ginger base), however, I've noticed in the past that my beef dishes in the slow cooker come out much more tender when I cook it all day on low rather than half the day on high (which I had done this time --- nearly 5 hours on high). It was suggested that you shred the beef so that the sauce really was immersed throughout the beef and served over rice, but the beef wasn't tender enough to do this.

Photo Source

I have a new recipe up my sleeve to try --- I made two separate trips to the grocery store this past week and forgot TWICE to pick up one of the ingredients needed, so it's on my list to pick up and try this weekend. If you like (or want to like) quinoa, you won't want to miss this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment