Wednesday, February 12, 2014

21 Day Fix: Total Body Cardio Fix

OK so as I mentioned in my anniversary post, I am going to be sharing my thoughts on the new Beachbody 21 Day Fix program with you. Yesterday, I tried the Total Body Cardio Fix workout. It was 29 minutes long. And I must admit... I'm sore. Not yet sore to the point where it hurts to walk, but my muscles feel like I worked out (and can still workout today). Ironically enough, while my legs do feel sore, I think my shoulders feel the most sore of all my muscles (and I lug a nearly 30lb toddler around everyday!!!) Which means I must be doing something right here! :)

Beachbody 21 Day Fix Base Kit sold out within 36 hours
Photo Credit
So this 29-minute workout starts with a warm-up, like all workouts. Basic moves, nothing out of the ordinary. The actual workout consists of 4 rounds... there are 2 different movements in each round that you perform for a minute each with a 20 second break in between and then repeat. So essentially, you're doing 8 different movements in this workout. Sounds simple... and it is. No crazy movements... just crazy muscle working!! She starts you off busting your butt from the very beginning. You need a set of weights (I used 5lbs and might actually get a set of 7 or 8's to try to kick it up a notch) and a mat if you're on a hard surface because the fourth round is actually focused on the abs so you will be on your back.

I could feel my muscles burning doing these workouts and did need to stop to catch my breath a few times. What I absolutely LOVED though was that when I pushed play and Autumn Calabrese showed up ready to workout with her team, there was a variety of people working out. Not everyone was super fit like Autumn, which tends to be the case for most of the workout DVDs I've seen (with the exception of the Biggest Loser DVD I purchased in December which had former contestants working out). This was comforting because it showed people at virtually all workout levels can do her workout with modifications. And there is someone showing you how to modify the moves (which usually meant less jumping and not using weights as you are starting out). I burned 189 calories with this workout (and that was with a few breaks). I'm sure I can make it to 200 as I get stronger and am able to push myself a little harder. Considering how I feel right now, I think 189 is a pretty good burn. I feel like I worked a lot harder than 189... as long as I see results, that's all that matters to me! :)

This was a quick workout, but certainly not easy. This has me super excited to see what the other workouts are like!! I will share each workout with you as I get through them. But for a preview, here are the other workouts in this program:
Upper Fix (focuses chest, back, shoulders, arms and abs)
Lower Fix (focuses on glutes, quads, and hamstrings)
Pilates Fix
Cardio Fix (not sure how this is different from Total Body Cardio Fix as this post covers, but I will let you know!)
Dirty 30 (4 rounds of 8 exercises --- again, not sure how this is different but I'm sure it is and I will let you know!)
Yoga Fix
10-Minute Fix for Abs (this is noted as a bonus workout --- it's not noted on her workout schedule so you just add it in as you would like)

In addition, there are two "Ultimate Workouts" that are suggested on the workout schedule to substitute in place of workouts on the schedule... these are:
Barre Legs (suggested in place of Lower Fix, this is based on ballet movements)
Flat Abs Fix (suggested in place of Pilates Fix... this is a half-hour of pure abs... yikes!! BRING IT!)

I also received a bonus DVD in my package called Plyo Fix (6 rounds for a half hour that is noted on the package to be "intense but easy-to-follow drills"). Sounds intense... again, BRING IT! :)

Please bear with me as I work to get through all of these workouts. Hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks, I can get a review up on each of these workouts for you. I can't wait to see the kind of results the 21 Day Fix gives me! Want a preview? Check out this link from YouTube!

Wish me luck... time to get fit!! :)

~ Aly

4 comments:

  1. How are you calculating how many calories burned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Marie! I wear a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor. If you go further back in my posts, I did a comparison of using the monitor vs what the MyFitnessPal app was calculating based on my basic info. It's a great way for me to more accurately track my calories. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info! I have been doing the 21 Day Fix to regain myself after pregnancy and found your site through googling calories burned per workout. I'll have to look into the monitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've been there, Marie. Don't give up, you will get there! If I can do anything to help along the way, I'm here! Good luck! :) - Aly

      Delete