As promised, I wanted to check in on the next workout in the
21 Day Fix program that I tried. Yesterday, I give the Upper Fix a try. For this workout, you need two sets of weights (a light and a heavy). I definitely need to invest in more weights because I had 3lb and 5lb to use --- I probably could have used the 5lb for my light but I didn't have anything heavier to use for my heavy weights so I stuck with the 3 and 5 to have variety.
Upper Fix has two separate rounds of five workouts --- so you do the five workouts, repeat, and then move onto the second round, for a full half hour of focusing on your arms, chest, back, shoulders and abs. Almost the entire second round is done on your back so make sure you have a mat for this one too. They show modifications if you use a resistance band instead of weights, as well as how to modify with doing the exercises only one arm at a time (alternating arms) if using both at the same time is too challenging for you.
Don't expect a big calorie burn for this workout --- I burned 107 calories. But it's a great workout for the arms. I just finished the workout less than two hours ago and I can feel that I worked out in my biceps and back especially. In my (totally unprofessional) opinion, a workout should leave you feeling energized and feeling worked, but not totally wiped out, and that's exactly what this does. I love Autumn. I think her quote is "you can do anything for 60 seconds"... there are times I want to tell her, "Yea, right!!!" but I know it's just because I'm building up my stamina right now.
Next up: Lower Fix! Getting ready to feel the burn --- and maybe I will double up and do another workout if time permits (and by time, I mean my toddler). :)
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how many calories I burn during her workouts... How did you figure you lost 107 calories?
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delay in response --- for some reason, my original comment never posted, so I'm trying this again. Thanks for stopping by Jenny! I actually wear a Heart Rate Monitor to track my calories burned for my workouts. I have a Polar FT4 which is one of their more basic ones --- I got it last year for around $60 from Amazon. I know there are many brands out there but from the research I did online before buying this one, Polar seems to be the most reliable, so it was well worth the $60 in my eyes. I actually am thinking of upgrading to one with more bells and whistles. I hope this helps -- if there's anything else I can do to help on your journey, I'm here! :) ~Aly
DeleteAly, do you have an approximate amount of calories burned since you do wear the Polar??? I am too just looking for a ball park figure just so I know somewhat of what I am burning.
ReplyDeleteHi Dawn! I just checked my "My Fitness Pal" app to see what it averaged for Upper Fix and it was 111 (this is with me weighing in the 145-150 range). I usually burn a little over 200 for total body cardio and cardio fix. Lower fix was around 170. Pilates was around 115. Dirty 30 was 150ish. And I didn't like the yoga after trying it once so didn't do it --- can't tell you much about that one. Everyone will naturally burn differently, not only based on how hard you work but also how heavy of weights you're lifting (I was using 5lb for my light and 7lbs for my heavy). Hope this helps! :)
DeleteHow did you find it in my fitness pal? Do you log under cardio or strength? I never saw it logged?
ReplyDeleteI added it into MFP on my own... I wear a heart rate monitor which tracks my activity more accurately than if I just enter it as cardio or strength. There's some great reasonable Polar Heart Rate Monitors you can buy online (I think mine was $60, it's a basic one, not a lot of bells and whistles).
Delete