![]() |
| Photo Credit |
While I've done Pilates and Yoga workouts in the past, I wouldn't say I'm flexible or an expert by any means. In fact, I really don't think I'm flexible at all and have been unable to do a "real push-up" since 2011 when I got married (I got pregnant at the end of 2011 and despite my workouts that kicked into full gear in January 2012, I have been unable to do a full push-up still). I decided to suck it up and do the "Align: The Fundamentals" segment which is an intro to the key moves that we will be incorporating into this program. Chalene does an amazing job of showing you how to break down each move, how your body should be aligned to ensure the best results (and to avoid injury), plus she shows you the beginner, intermediate, and advanced versions of each move. LOVE IT! It's about 40 minutes long but well worth it to go through once (I burned nearly 100 calories, per my Polar Heart Rate Monitor).
![]() |
| Photo Credit |
I was anxious to get started, so I went right into "Define: Lower Body". This workout was 21 minutes long and really just gets you into the key lower body movements. I always try to push myself to do the advanced or intermediate moves before I just "settle" for the beginner moves, and I was impressed with myself as I mainly followed the intermediate moves. There was one move that was harder on the hamstrings that I had to break out of the pose since it was pulling my tight hammys. Ironically, Chalene commented seconds after that experience that we shouldn't pull too hard if we are tight there. What I found even more amusing was that I nearly did it again when we switched sides... so beware if your hamstrings are tight like mine!!
Today, I did "Define: Upper Body". This workout was 19 minutes (I think there's a typo in the kit because it claims to be 35 minutes in the Quick Start Guide). Similar concept as the Lower Body workout, only focusing on the upper body. Lots of plank style holds and abs exercises in this workout. My shoulders definitely feel like they got a workout today.
I can most definitely understand why people from the test group got such amazing results with this program right away... even though there isn't a huge calorie burn from these two "Define" workouts (I burned 82 on the lower and 63 on the upper), I definitely feel the burn... there's no doubt about it that this is going to do some serious toning... tomorrow is the "Sweat" workout and I'm very excited to see how cardio is incorporated into PiYo.
I wanted to touch briefly on the Eating Plan that comes with this program. I'll be honest: the only time I've followed the eating plans that have come with Beachbody programs was when I did the 21 Day Fix --- and I was very impressed with my results in just 21 days. Without having containers like the 21 Day Fix, PiYo offers a similar type of plan. You calculate your calorie target, and that will then put you in one of four different food plans to follow. For example, I am in the 1,400-1,599 range, which is Plan B. This plan would allow me to eat the following per day:
- 5 Servings of Primary Vegetables
- 2 Servings of Secondary Vegetables & Grains
- 2 Servings of Fresh Fruit
- 5 Servings of Lean Protein
- 4 Servings of Healthy Fats
The goal of the plan is to take in 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat per day. There's a list of foods that fall into each of these categories, as well as a note as to what one serving of each food might be (for example, 2 cups of cooked green beans counts as one primary vegetable serving --- 1/2 cup of sweet potato or quinoa is one serving of a secondary vegetable or grain). This seems easier to balance for me since there are more healthy fats in the day, especially for cooking... oils, nut butters, avocado, various cheeses, etc. Herbs and spices are freebies, as are various vinegars, mustard, garlic, black coffee or unsweetened tea. There's a lot of flexibility with this eating plan to help make PiYo even more successful for you. I hope to formulate an eating schedule as I did for the 21 Day Fix for PiYo as well, so stay tuned for that...
Want to see an example of the amazing PiYo results? This is just one of the many reasons I plan to come up with an eating schedule to follow the suggested meal plan with PiYo... Amy's results are AWESOME! You can tell she's gotten more toned everywhere!
![]() |
| Photo Credit |
~ Aly



I have to say, I'm a little nervous about the lack of calories burned...will it be enough? Are you going to supplement with an additional workout?
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Shaun! My apologies for the delay... every time I tried replying to this on my phone, it kept freezing up! I have been walking every morning for at least an hour to supplement PiYo for now. The Sweat workout did burn closer to 200 calories for me (and I'm sure Drench will burn even more since it's the longest workout). I think these Define workouts may be better on the same day since they're short, but I'm sticking to the schedule provided with the program for at least the first 60 days. I do think that if I continue to eat right, this workout can be done entirely on its own. I can feel my strength building up in just over a week (which I think sounds impossible but it's actually happening and I've talked to a couple other people who are feeling it too). I hope this helps answer your question... so yes, I am supplementing (at least for now) with walking, but not with another workout program.
DeleteFor some reason my posts keep failing. I burn 360 calories with sweat so calorie burn will vary by person. I play hockey twice a week but am not otherwise supplementing and have noticed results at 9 days in.
ReplyDeleteYou're absolutely right! Every person will burn differently depending on their weight and muscles, not to mention if they're doing the beginner, intermediate, or advanced moves. 360 is AMAZING! :) Glad you're seeing such fantastic results --- this program is awesome! Love it! Thanks for stopping by, Lis!
DeleteHow are you ladies able to tell the calories that you are burning?
ReplyDeleteHi Tammi --- and thanks for stopping by! I wear a Polar Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) when I workout to track my calories burned. Fitbit just released one of their devices that doubles as a HRM. I believe my HRM was about $70 from Amazon when I bought it 2 years ago (I have the Polar FT4). Totally worth the investment to be sure you're tracking accurately. :) - Aly
DeleteThe important thing to remember as well is that with you activating your muscles, and creating more lean muscle your body will be burning more calories long after you stop working out. I just got my PiYo workout DVDs in the mail yesterday and did the Align this morning. It's amazing how such simple moves can make you sweat! I can hardly wait to get to the other videos.
ReplyDelete