Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Food Frenzy 17

So after a weekend of pinning and flipping through cookbooks, I dug up a few recipes I couldn't wait to try. I am a lover of warm weather and everything that goes with it... I'm not even totally against the humidity (except during pregnancy because that was rough for me). But I am actually a little excited for fall. I want to get some new fall clothes since I haven't really done any serious shopping for any kind of fall wardrobe since 2010 (I knew I would be trying to get pregnant in 2011, and was working off all the baby weight in 2012). I want a couple new pairs of boots, already bought some new jeans, but might try some straight leg this year (key word: might), and am excited to see what I can find based on some of the fashion trends I've pinned on Pinterest.

Anyway, the first recipe I tried this week was a little bit different for me. I've never been a big fan of anything pumpkin. I know, it's a sin. I try something every year but never have any interest. I accidentally was given a pumpkin coffee a couple years ago when I went through the Dunkin Donuts Drive-Thru and couldn't drink it. However, the recent Skinnytaste post for Skinny Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins caught my eye. The recipe was super easy to follow and easy to make. And despite the amount of pumpkin in these mini muffins, they are delicious. In fact, I popped one too many when they came out of the oven (I should know better than to bake on an empty stomach). They're not too sweet either. I highly recommend these muffins, whether you're looking to make these to have with breakfast or as a snack. I would love to try this recipe as a loaf bread since the recipe actually yields 28 mini muffins and the muffin pan only makes 24.

Photo Source: Skinnytaste

My next recipe is also fall-inspired, but for dinner. From my "Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook": Chicken with Apples and Cider. The recipe yields 4 servings. The recipe is as follows:

2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
1 TBSP packed dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
4 (4oz) skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups hot cooked wide noodles (I used egg noodles)

1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sauté the apple until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the brown sugar; cook, stirring frequently until tender, 3-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.

2. On a sheet of wax paper, sprinkle the chicken with the cinnamon, salt, and pepper. In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Sauté the chicken until browned, 4-5 minutes on each side. Transfer to another plate.

3. In the skillet, cook the onion, covered, until tender, 6-8 minutes; stir in the cider and vinegar. Reduce the heat and simmer 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet; summer, spooning the sauce over chicken, until chicken is cooked through and liquid is reduced by half, 4-5 minutes. 

4. Return the apples to the skillet; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Arrange the noodles on a platter; top with the chicken mixture, pouring any remaining juices over chicken.

Per serving (1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup noodles, and 1/4 sauce): 352 calories, 11g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 89mg chol, 273mg sodium, 36g carb, 2g fiber, 27g protein, 35mg calcium. 

I was excited to try this recipe as I love apples and cider. The flavor was yummy but there wasn't quite enough juice which I think is because I let it cook too much, so if you're going to try this, keep a close eye on it so you don't dry yours out too. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish I liked pumpkin. Everyone is making pumpkin this and that and I just can't get into it.
    Maybe I should give it another try.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a pumpkin person either. This isn't overpowering and I think the chocolate chips camouflage the pumpkin a little bit too.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I am stopping by from the Facebook/Blog Hop over at "The Naptime Review." Please stop by and like our Facebook page at http://facebook.com/joyfulhomeandlife (and we even invite you to share it)! You can also visit our blog at http://www.joyfulhomeandlife.com (click "New Here" and "Follow the Blog" to follow our blog as well) :) Thanks! :-)

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jessica. I'm so terribly sorry it has taken so long to respond, I've had a lot going on. Looking forward to following your blog too! :)

      Delete