Thursday, July 17, 2014

"Drench"ed with PiYo

I always keep it real. I hate long workouts. Except for TurboFire... I love those long workouts (for the weekends only). But generally, I hate long workouts. As a SAHM, my "me" time is very limited. Even if I wake up early to workout and shower before my daughter wakes, I always run the risk that she will wake up early and then I need to rush through whatever I'm in the middle of. And I just don't enjoy working out at night. That's my time to relax and enjoy some quiet time with my hubby. Which leaves naptime... which is generally long enough for me to get in a longer workout and shower and have lunch, but not always... because if you have a kid at home, you know that "you just never know what to expect!"

So I'm back to my mantra of hating long workouts. I was excited to do "Drench" because of the name. I've enjoyed "Sweat" so figured that "Drench" would be along the same lines. The workout begins, there's Chalene and her crew... and the timer in the corner that says 48 minutes.... WHAT?! I literally groaned out loud in my living room as I began to take my shoes off when I saw them all barefoot, and figured I would suck it up.

This workout FLEW by. I wouldn't have thought it was 48 minutes at all. If you're following the schedule that comes with PiYo, you will see practically every move you've already done in all the other workouts in this one workout. And you know how when you go on a water ride at an amusement park, there's a disclaimer that you "may" get wet on this ride? I assure you that you WILL be drenched before you even reach the halfway point of this workout. I know everyone burns calories at a different rate but I burned 328 calories doing this workout (and that was with taking some child's pose breaks in between moves and not doing every push-up because I'm not quite there yet to hold myself up that long).

Photo Credit
I know I've told you how much I've liked just about every one of these workouts. If I had to pick my 5 favorite workouts of all time, Drench will certainly be on it. Yes, 48 minutes is a long workout, but it's an ah-MAY-zing workout. I couldn't believe how good I felt after I was done. I did feel a little sore in my shoulders when I washed my hair in the shower afterward, but that's to be expected. This is the longest workout in PiYo. Sweat (another one I absolutely love) is 35 minutes, and the rest are 30 minutes or less, so one long workout isn't so bad if it's a great one, right?

Have you done any of the workouts yet? What do you think? Want to learn more? Leave me a comment below or send me a message on my Facebook page!

~ Aly

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm glad I found your blog. I am on week 4 of Piyo and I love it - Haven't done Drench yet though, but now I'm excited for it this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it too!! Hope you had a great week of
      PiYo... Did you get to do drench yet? :)

      Delete
    2. I have my first "drench" workout scheduled for tomorrow and just about died when I saw it was 48 min long. I see lots of child poses in my future tomorrow! Thank you for you input.

      Delete
    3. How did you make out, Lysette?? :)

      Delete
  2. have u tried insanity? I'm wondering if i should start that or something else,,, i have loads to lose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abeer: Have you tried any of the Beachbody workouts before? I wasn't a huge fan of Insanity because the workouts were close to an hour long. My favorites are the 21 Day Fix and TurboFire. TurboFire has awesome music --- I would say its a cross between kickboxing and a dance cardio workout. The workouts range in length though. The 21 Day Fix workouts are all 30 minutes, incorporate weights and focus on a different type of workout/area of the body each day, plus the eating plan makes it so much easier to lose weight, whether you have 10lbs or 100lbs to lose. If I can help you out, feel free to drop me a note on my Facebook page and I can help guide you. :) www.facebook.com/fitmomaly

      Delete