Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Food Frenzy 9

It felt good to get back on the cooking bandwagon this week. I don't know about you but I tend to go through phases where I just don't feel like cooking an all-out dinner. I prefer taking the easier way out sometimes --- marinading some chicken breasts and popping  them in the oven, a side of rice of some sort (more so for my husband --- I personally don't love rice) and veggies.

First recipe of the week: Skinny Baked Burritos, compliments of Skinny Mom. I did slightly modify this recipe. I'm not a mushroom fan, and this recipe calls for fat free cream of mushroom soup. I used Amy's Organic Low Fat Cream of Tomato in its place, and also subbed Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican 4 Cheese in place of the Monterey Jack Cheese the recipe called for. And I used the La Tortilla Factory High Fiber/Low Carb tortillas. When I plugged this recipe into My Fitness Pal, it actually calculated as 249 calories per burrito (40 calories less than the original recipe notes). Even better! I decided while making these up that I wanted to make 6 burritos instead of 8 --- when I made Skinny Enchiladas awhile back, they seemed a little skimpy on the meat and I ended up eating 2. It made more sense to just put more meat into the tortillas so I ended up not eating more than I should have (which worked out well because there wouldn't have been enough room in the dish for 8 of them). If you go this route and follow the recipe with the products I used, it would be 332 calories per burrito. These were super yummy --- next time, I might add some salsa into the burrito before I roll them up for a little extra kick. Here's my final product!


Second recipe of the week: Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake, compliments of Skinnytaste. This recipe is actually two parts as first you need to make the Skinny Basil Pesto. I was able to prepare this in advance and can use the leftovers (wasn't too much) for maybe a sandwich (I don't do mayo so this will be perfect!) I will definitely be preparing this pesto in larger quantities ahead of time next time to have some on hand. This was a very fresh tasting dinner. The pesto with the fresh tomato and mozzarella made it feel like summer, kind of like a caprese salad. Yum!

As part of the Beachbody fitness programs, they encourage you to drink their protein shakes, Shakeology. I've never been into any kind of shakes to be honest. I've tried a few through the years. Special K has protein shakes... They are too artificial tasting for me. I know Slim Fast doesn't count as a protein shake but I went through phases where I would drink one of their cappuccino flavored shakes for breakfast at work since it was just easier than sitting down to eat in the morning. I felt like those were a little more filling, but that was the only flavor I ever liked that they made. Shakeology costs a little more than I'd like to spend on a shake as a stay at home mom, but I did receive a sample from, a Beachbody coach that I'm going to try, so I w,l keep you posted on that...

I was poking around in the health aisle at my grocery store and came across Evolve. It's a new "naturally flavored" protein shake made by Muscle Milk. There wasn't a lot on the Evolve website but here's a perfect quote from PR Newswire to explain what Evolve is and why it's good for you:
"Evolve™ is a naturally flavored, 110-calorie protein beverage that can serve as a complement to any woman's evolution toward a healthy lifestyle.  The delicious and nutritious shake contains 12 grams of high-quality protein, 20 vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source of fiber. Evolve is sweetened with stevia, monk fruit and cane sugar and includes Tonalin® CLA, which helps reduce body fat and enhances lean muscle.  Evolve is lactose and gluten free. The beverage complements a smart nutrition plan that, when combined with a balanced exercise program, may contribute to weight management and recovery from exercise. Evolve is shaped by Muscle Milk and is available in five flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla Crème, Strawberry, Mixed Berry and Café Latte.  CytoSport™, the maker of Muscle Milk and Evolve, is one of the largest sport nutrition companies in the U.S. and offers a complete line of protein-enhanced products including powders, shakes and bars."
The only flavors I saw in my grocery store were the chocolate and vanilla creme so I bought a pack of both. 4 shakes per pack at $5.99. Not too shabby. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for these, but they were both delicious, though I think I prefer the chocolate. The vanilla was reminiscent of a Vanilla Fribble from Friendly's (just not as thick), but the chocolate tasted more natural for some reason to me. I can't quite put my finger on why that is yet. There wasn't any funny aftertaste and neither tasted artificial, which is a huge feat for the chocolate flavor in particular.

I hope you've enjoyed this week's Food Frenzy Friday. Stay tuned to see what next week has in store for me... and have a wonderful holiday weekend!

~ Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment