In bringing back my recipes posts, I weeded out some older stuff I'd pinned on Pinterest and found some newer recipes to create a new board to go to for recipes. It's my goal to try something new every week. This will be a challenge so feel free to hold me accountable any time if I start to slack off! In the winter time, I tend to rely on my slow cooker a little more. I love being able to throw everything in one pot and just let it do its own thing. Lazy? Maybe. But it does help make my life easier.
My recipe of the week: Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie --- compliments of the ever fabulous Skinny Mom. If you are just catching one of my Friday Food Frenzy posts for the first time here, my favorite "skinny" websites for recipes are hands down Skinnytaste and Skinny Mom. They have such a variety and it's easy to sort so if you want chicken, or a slow cooker recipe, you can easily find what you're looking for.
Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort food in my mind, and it's great for the winter. This was super easy to prepare, and you can choose to serve biscuits on the side if you'd like. I opted for the smaller biscuits as they suggest on this recipe rather than the Grands --- helped me cut back on some calories! This dinner was super yummy.
I do want to make a few notes on modifications I made.
- I despise celery (sorry!!) so I omitted that from my pot pie when I made it.
- I'm not a huge fan of thyme, so I did modify the seasonings slightly. Rather than 1 teaspoon of parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of thyme as the recipes suggests, I used 1/2 teaspoon each of parsley, oregano, and basil. I think when I make this next time, I will add a little more oregano to it for a little more flavor.
- I felt like this might have been a little potato heavy, but lacking in the veggies. I realize "6 small red potatoes" may be hard to quantify so I think I will only use 4 or 5 next time. In addition, I would use more veggies. I haven't really decided what would be best --- more mixed veggies or maybe just making my own batch of mixed veggies and adding however much I feel is appropriate as I go along. The 10.8oz bag just didn't seem like enough to me.
On a side note, I felt that this recipe reheated very well so I will also probably double the recipe next time. If you don't mind leftovers (sometimes I'm not a fan, but it depends on the food), you may want to consider this too.
... Until next week!
~ Aly

No comments:
Post a Comment