Sunday, March 30, 2014

The "Ultimate Workouts" - Plus a Dose of Reality

So the ultimate challenge pack for the 21 Day Fix includes two additional workouts: Flat Abs Fix and Barre Legs. It's suggested that you can swap out Pilates Fix for the Flat Abs Fix, and swap out the Lower Fix for Barre Legs. I'm actually surprised it took me this long to do these workouts --- and I think it was fate because if I started these when I first started the program, I probably would have hated it because they're both SO HARD!!!!

Ok. Let's get real here. I don't want to intimidate you and tell you these are quite THAT hard, but they certainly do make you feel the burn. I started with Flat Abs Fix. This workout hits more than just your abs. You do use a weight for some of the moves, which means it works your arms and shoulders quite a bit, plus since some of these moves are done standing or in plank, it works your legs too. And in true Autumn Calabrese fashion, just when you think you can't do any more, she throws in a bonus round at the end, which, if you've done the bonus round from 10-Minute Abs Fix, you will know what I mean here... same exercises, only you do them LONGER and you REPEAT! You could see almost everyone doing the workout struggle too (including the guys) so it made me feel better knowing these are just hard workouts!

Though the Flat Abs Fix left my body feeling a bit shaky and like jello, I was determined to get in a second workout. I was initially thinking of doing some TurboFire to incorporate more cardio but didn't think I could muster up the energy to dedicate myself to that. So I went for the kill: Barre Legs. I figured since the entire upper part of my body was mush, I may as well work the lower part. Oh my goodness! Just when I thought I couldn't get any more sore, Autumn gets you again! After the traditional warm-up, she introduces you to the pattern of which you will be doing for each of these moves. You do each move in full motion 20 times. Then, you pulse 20 times. And as if that's not painful enough, then there's a 30 second hold. I don't think there was a single move I was able to complete for this entire workout. I had to break the position more than once to regroup and then get back into the groove. This is no joke... which means that it's REALLY going to get my legs in awesome shape. So I will most definitely be incorporating Barre Legs into my weekly routine (perhaps I will do this instead of the Lower Fix for a few weeks --- and maybe throw it into another day too for some extra leg work). I can't wait to see the results I get with Barre Legs! Let's hope I'm able to walk tomorrow. :)

I want to leave you with a dose of reality, and proof that we are all human. I slipped off the eating plan this past week. I was doing so well sticking to it, and then my daughter and I both got sick this week. I kept up with the workouts but found myself snacking Cheerios, extra pasta I made for my daughter... I thought the carbs would make me feel better. CLEARLY not the case. So I restarted my Round 2 today and am sticking to those containers!! I picked myself back up and am ready to do this again... after all, summer is just around the corner!! I actually just finished my favorite lunch...



Eating on the eating plan doesn't have to be challenging and it doesn't starve you if you plan ahead. This salad is 2 green containers (my local supermarket sells a value size container of the Dole lettuce mix which is called 50/50 since it's half spring mix and half spinach), 1 red container (I stock up for a week or two at a time on the Purdue Short Cuts chicken to make my lunch super easy), and 1 orange container (I love the Dijon Vinaigrette dressing from the 21 Day Fix eating plan book --- note: this dressing also make a wonderful veggie dip if you don't want to make on of the creamier dressings). When you have the dressing prepped ahead of time, making this salad literally takes less than two minutes.

If you need more suggestions, feel free to refer to my (very basic) template I created when I started the Fix last month. I created this as a starting guide as I got use to what my daily intake should be, and I've tweaked it along the way depending on my mood. To see my template, view my previous post: Eating on the 21 Day Fix.

Let's lose some more inches and pounds with "The Fix"! :) Stay tuned for my results!! And I would LOVE to hear about yours too!

~ Aly

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for honest review of Ab Fix & Barre Leg. (I am on Day 19 of my first round of the Fix and was considering getting the 2 additional dvds). Keep up the good work!!! I hate exercise, but I love the Fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for honest review of Ab Fix & Barre Leg. (I am on Day 19 of my first round of the Fix and was considering getting the 2 additional dvds). Keep up the good work!!! I hate exercise, but I love the Fix!

    ReplyDelete