Thursday, September 18, 2014

P90: Get ready to increase your strength, flexibility and balance

Have you heard about the P90X workouts but always been intimidated by the "X" for extreme in the name? I know I have! The workouts include pull-ups... something I would LOVE to be able to do at some point in my life but I'm just not there yet. I've heard Tony Horton's workouts are amazing and the people who complete his program get killer results. But I have never felt like I was ready to brave P90X.

If you're familiar with Beachbody's workouts, you may be aware that Tony Horton's first program was called Power 90. It included only 4 workouts, but people got great results from it, which led Tony into developing his "X" programs. 15 years have come and gone since Power 90 and Tony wanted to revamp the program and bring us a brand new less extreme fitness program that would be more accessible for all fitness levels.

Photo Credit
Enter P90. I wasn't overly enthusiastic when I heard about this program a few months ago. However, as I've been learning more and more about the program and the workouts included, I'm getting VERY excited!! I had a long summer. It tends to be the busiest time of year for my husband at work, plus he had a few ladies out on maternity leave. And of course you know I'm a SAHM to a very energetic toddler. I worked out most days but I felt exhausted and I definitely wasn't eating as healthy as I normally would. So I am SO ready to take on P90 and am looking for some people to join me. Are you a mom looking to shed some baby weight? Shedding for the wedding? Just trying to finally get moving to get yourself back in shape? I want to do it together!!!

Let me give you a quick rundown on what the base kit of P90 is going to consist of and how the program works. There are 10 workouts in the base kit. The program (if you stick with the base kit) runs for 90 days. This is a sectional progressional workout, which basically means each month, there's a new set of workouts you will do that build up on the month's prior workouts (and so each month, the workouts do get a little longer as well). Let me explain...

Days 1-30, we complete the "A" Workouts...
Sweat A: 8 simple and fun moves (25 minutes)
Sculpt A: Foundation for resistance training (28 minutes)
Ab Ripper A: 10 core moves (8 minutes)

Days 31-60, we complete the "B" Workouts...
Sweat B: Ramps up the intensity of the workouts (32 minutes)
Sculpt B: Improve muscular endurance and strength (31 minutes)
Ab Ripper B: Adds 5 new moves to sculpt your abs even more (14 minutes)

Days 61-90, we complete the "C" Workouts
Sweat C: This takes the intensity to a new level to sweat and have fun while working the entire body (36 minutes)
Sculpt C: Strength, flexibility and balance... all in one! (42 minutes)
Ab Ripper C: Get ready for a lot of different plank moves to really define those abs (15 minutes)

In addition, there's the "Saturday Special" workout which is 25 minutes of core cardio. Who loves cardio? I do!

The base kit will include a nutrition guide as always, which gives details on the "6 Day Shred" to jumpstart your weight loss with Tony's best clean eating tips. This kit comes with a resistance band for the workouts, but Tony has mentioned that you certainly could use weights if you prefer. He designed this program so that there are modifiers for those who may have more weight to lose than others, but also made it challenging enough that you could benefit from P90 even if you've done is "X" programs.

This amazing program is going to be available on Tuesday, September 23rd to Beachbody Customers for $79.90!! There of course will be a Challenge Pack available for purchase which is always a fantastic savings if you're interested in starting your journey with Shakeology as well.

For those of you fitness enthusiasts, there will also be a Deluxe Kit available for purchase. I don't have complete details about that kit yet or even what the price will be, however, I do know the workouts will be Speed Sweat, Speed Sculpt, Speed Ab Ripper, and Tony's Greatest Hits. I assume that these workouts will build upon the "C" series workouts.

Photo Credit
Why am I excited for P90? I get bored easily with my workouts, so knowing I will be doing each set of workouts for only a month before moving on to new workouts sounds like something I can definitely handle. I would love to complete this workout (including the "Speed" round) and feel strong enough to take on P90X3. Sure, I may not be able to do pull-ups still at that point but I definitely should feel strong enough to take that chance. I love how fun TurboFire is, I love how strong I feel when I workout with PiYo and the 21 Day Fix, but I'm ready to do something different. Want to join me? Leave your comments below!

~ Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment