Monday, June 9, 2014

Why I'm Excited for PiYo

If you have been following my blog or Facebook page, you know I've been sharing how super excited I am about Chalene Johnson's new workout, PiYo! It will be released at the Beachbody Coach Summit next week (sadly, I won't be there), and I am SO anxious to get my hands on this program. I've become a huge fan of TurboFire and ChaLEAN Extreme (which were also created by Chalene Johnson), so I have no doubt I'm going to love this workout too.

What is PiYo?
- The name "PiYo" may be a little deceiving... there are some yoga and pilates inspired moves, but this is a low-impact (but high intensity) program! You won't be holding poses like yoga or pilates.
 - You will build a lot of CORE strength... this workout is all about "Strength, Cardio and Flexibility"
- This workout will help increase flexibility and strength using your own body weight... no lifting weights, and no equipment will be needed.

Photo Credit
- There will always be a modification for every move so this program works for virtually everyone, whether you're a beginner or have been working out and super fit... which means you can grow with this program as you get stronger! And a HUGE perk with this program to help make sure you are doing the move correctly: someone will always be showing you the side profile of what each move should look like. So you'll see Chalene from the front and a side profile of one individual of her crew doing the same move. No more wondering, "Am I doing this right?"
Photo Credit

Ok, so does that help give you an idea? Chalene has been talking about how this program has changed her life. I love her TurboFire workouts --- the jumping around to the music really revs me up, but I'll be honest, I'm not all that flexible, and I feel like a little old lady when I get out of bed some mornings. I'm hoping based on what Chalene has shared about PiYo and how it's helped her that it will also help me! I've heard the results that people are seeing that have been able to try this workout prior to its release have been amazing... they are so much stronger and some are really shedding some weight! Oh, and Chalene says the music is upbeat too --- I don't know about you, but I'm more likely to enjoy my workout when the tunes in the background keep me going (which is probably why I love TurboFire so much).

So, the details as of now (which are subject to change, but for now, here's what I know)...  June 23rd is the release date on the Beachbody Website. There are 9 total workouts in the base kit and the price is going to be $59.95. The full workout descriptions are posted on the PiYo Workout Facebook Page, but this will sum it up for you...

Align: The Fundamentals (46 minutes) - Learn the PiYo fundamentals with this blood pumping workout
Define: Upper Body (35 minutes) - Strengthen and stretch your entire body while shaping your arms and shoulders
Define: Lower Body (25 minutes) - Shape your lower body
Sweat (30 minutes) - A traditional PiYo workout, this is fast-paced with body weight strength training and with some abs work
Core (30 minutes) - This workout will hit every muscle of your core
Sculpt (30 minutes) - Uses your body weight to generate muscular endurance
Strength Intervals (25 minutes) - Includes body carving intervals; alternates intervals of body weight resistance and athletic moves
Drench (45 minutes) - This begins with a warm up, then stretches your upper and lower body, moves onto a power section to boost heart rate, then focuses on the lower body to improve muscle, endurance, balance and flexibility
Bonus: PiYo Buns (25 minutes) - Focuses on toning your backside

I love that they're not all long workouts... as a mom of a toddler, I don't always have an hour to spend on a workout, but it's great to see that I might be able to double up on days I have more time (I say that now, but it may take time to build up my strength to be ready for that!) Once this workout is available for purchase on June 23rd, I will be working with other coaches to set up a Facebook Challenge, so make sure if you plan on purchasing this program that we connect on Facebook so you can be added to the test group that will start in early July.

So does this sound like something that might interest you? Make sure you sign up to receive the most current info from me so you don't miss out on PiYo when it's released! Click here to be added to my mailing list.

2 comments:

  1. This is exciting! It's great for on the go moms or moms who travel since you don't need anything except your body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Dawn! :) Thanks for stopping by!! I'll be posting more info once I receive my PiYo so stay tuned if this might spark your interest! ~Aly

      Delete