What do you think of when you hear the phrase, "trouble spots"? I am sure even the most fit people have what they consider to be a trouble spot. A part of their body that takes extra effort to sculpt into the image you have in your mind for yourself. Something you may just feel even a little insecure about from time to time.

Trouble spots is this week's Slim by the Summer theme. Personally, my tummy has always been my biggest trouble spot. My mother always told me that's the easiest place to lose fat from. I feel like no matter what I have tried in the past, there is just no toning my tummy to look the way I wanted it to, but hindsight, I don't think I gave it my all... so this is a new challenge for me. By no means do I need a six pack. But having had a baby recently certainly isn't helping my cause. I refuse to let this be an excuse though. If I am finding time to workout daily, I should certainly be able to fit in a few extra minutes to focus purely on my abs. And that is my plan!
Those of you who follow me on Pinterest have seen an obscene amount of fitness related pins in the past few weeks. I am obsessed with finding what people believe are the best ab exercises out there to tone my abs. I've been going through them to find which ones come up the most to incorporate them into my current routine. Even though I give my abs some attention in my cardio workouts, it's not enough. Must do more!
Right behind my abs would be my thighs, which I have been so fortunate to see great results with toning since I started my new routine in January. My thighs are definitely slimming out, but I still want to reduce the cellulite as much as I can. Summer is coming. Shorts season. I'm on the short side and think I look funny in Bermudas since I am not a skinny short person, so I must work those thighs to comfortably wear my cute summer shorts. And perhaps buy a few new colorful pairs from J. Crew to add to my collection. It's been a little painful to go shopping --- I've been refusing to really spend money on new clothes until all my old ones fit me right again, and I even gift cards from Christmas and my Birthday to put toward my new wardrobe. Needless to say, I've been doing all my shopping for my daughter to get my shopping fix (did I tell you I live 5 minutes from the outlets? Yes, very dangerous and it takes great will power not to buy everything I want!) So this is my plan when I get down to my first goal weight... 11.4 lbs to go!!
So, my new healthy discoveries from this past week: not necessarily healthy but healthier... Using reduced sodium taco seasoning for tacos and the whole grain shells. I was worried I would taste a difference but I didn't (and neither did my husband or friends). I used 92% organic lean beef this time. Next time, I am going to bite the bullet and try ground turkey. I have always been skeptical that they wouldn't be as good with turkey, but if a turkey burger and turkey bacon and turkey meatloaf can be good, why wouldn't turkey tacos? I will keep you posted!
A new recipe I made, compliments of Pinterest... Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins. This was on the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans website which I am still familiarizing myself with. They weren't too bad --- a bit more dense than muffins I have made in the past, but it makes sense since they are made with oatmeal and applesauce. I'm wondering though if these also contributed to my lower weight loss this past week. I realized when I made the Weight Watchers Banana Muffins a few weeks back, I had a smaller loss on the scale than all other weeks. Maybe I should just avoid even healthier muffins.
Another week begins... here's to seeing a bigger number on the scale next week!
<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4940131/?claim=gqmmfttqxzz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
I am so with you on abs being a trouble spot. Mine actually weren't an issue until having children, but now they are. I have tried so many different things, but still can't really get them toned. I would love to find a magic exercise for them, but not sure that really exists. Just glad to know it isn't just me.
ReplyDeleteIt's not just you!! If I figure out what the secret sauce is, I will let you know! :) Thanks for following me, Janine.
DeleteI hate abs ... why can't they magically be awesome! I do SO much cardio and they just seem to gawk at me every morning in the mirror! Dammit!
ReplyDeleteWell ... here's to trying :)
¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com
Alright there kiddo. I have something I would like you to try if you have a little extra oompah behind you. I cannot open your link at work because social media is blocked here so you'll have to bear with me if there are any redundancies from what you're blogging.
ReplyDeleteI grew up with you. You very well know I struggled with my own weight for years and even though I might be on the "healthier" looking side of things it's all diet and splurging. I put in the time and the gym and am stronger and more fit than most men I know and definitely all of my female friends.
On to your ABS!
One of the best things you can do for yourself are planks. They're miserable and everyone hates them. But buy building a strong core, you're burning fat, thinning yourself out, and saving yourself from years of troubled back issues and such for over compensating during these years when you could/should be at your strongest and fittest. Try for a simple 30 second plank to start. You'll never know just how long 30 seconds is, until you're trying to hold your body up. Increase your hold by 5 seconds 4 times a week until you hit a minute. Then jump up 15 seconds until you get to 3 minutes. Once you're there, you're good to go.
Do squats. Yes, this really improves and lifts your tush but it uses core strength and back strength too. You don't want to merely focus on one body part and assume that it's going to solve all your problems. It's a "total body" thing. More muscle means less fat! And don't be worried - it's impossible for you to get "man" muscles so pump it and pump it hard. If you're looking for that added core workout buy a bosu ball. I do my squats on this platform and it's intense.
To strengthen my lower abs. I lay on my back holding the ends of a 12lb dumbbell in between my hands fully outstretched above my head and then fold myself in half. I do three sets of 15. Those will rock you. Start with lower weight and lower reps and work up to it. You'll sure feel it!
Lastly, out of the things that have proven to help my stubborn body, side dips. I use a 35lb dumbbell but I do not recommend that for you. Try grabbing that same 12lb or even a 20. Stand straight up with the dumbbell in your right hand. Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart. Then dip your dumbbell hand to be even with your knee or further if you can without struggling and then squeeze your abs (obliques) to pull yourself back up. I do 70 on each side but I'm extremely ambitious and have an extremely strong core. It's taken me years to get here.
These are all exercises that you can get done in 12-15 solid minutes of working out. It's really hard to find the time when you're home and you've got a beautiful little almost 9 month old crawling around and getting into book shelves but this is your life and your future and you've got to do it. Healthy and fit is the way to live and the best way to show Ellie how to live. You're on an amazing path right now! Thanks for sharing it with everyone.
Lots of love mamma.
-Dani(elle)
These are awesome tips --- thank you so much!! :) You've always been an amazing friend that's been there for me through thick and thin. I'm so lucky to have you in my life!
Delete~ Aly
I've really enjoyed checking out your blog! My baby is 7 months old and losing the weight has been WAY harder than I anticipated. I gained 29 pounds, which isn't crazy high or anything, so I thought I would lose it all in a few months by breastfeeding...SO not the case! Just curious, have you checked out Tracy Anderson workouts? Her ab stuff is really unique and, although my body is still a work in progress, it's really helped pull my tummy in. Best of luck on your weight loss journey!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Breanne! I hope it's been useful for you. It is so hard to lose the baby weight, I agree. I've managed to lose it but my body seems to be stuck right now. I know I'm losing inches doing Brazil Butt Lift right now so I'm probably gaining some muscle but nothing seems to be in the same place post-baby. ;) Hang in there! I haven't tried Tracy Anderson, I will definitely be looking into that!
Delete~ Aly